11/22/2004


Happy sixth birthday my beautiful boy. Posted by Hello

Ta Da - I have found the perfect orange cake - finally the search is over! I decided to make a cake for Elliot last week for his oral presentation (a recipe) at school. I was supposed to make it with him but he fell asleep early so by the time I got home from work I had to make a decision about whether or not to make it at all. I thought it was all about taking the cake to school and it being shared with his classmates rather than the recipe and bit the bullet and baked it without him. He woke up later and was quite upset then came around and helped put the strawberries on it in the end.

I had my sister make the same cake for his birthday but asked her to change the dark chocolate ganache to a white chocolate ganache given that is his favourite.

Here it is:

Elliot's Orange Cake

Ingredients
1 and 1/2 cups caster sugar
6 eggs, separated
185g melted butter
grated rind and juice of 1 orange
1 and 1/2 cups plain flour
3 teaspoons of baking powder
¾ cup orange juice, extra
2 tablespoons caster sugar
200g dark cooking chocolate (or white chocolate)
100ml cream

Method
Grease and line a 23cm cake tin. Preheat oven to 160c or 140c fan forced.
Beat half the sugar with the egg yolks until thick and creamy. Fold in the butter, rind and juice of the orange. Sift the flour and baking powder and fold into the beaten egg mixture.


Beat the egg whites to soft peaks, add remaining sugar, beat well, and fold into the orange mixture. Spread into prepared tin and bake for approx. 55 minutes or until cake is cooked when tested with a skewer. Cover cake with alfoil if browning too quickly

Meanwhile, combine extra orange juice and sugar in a small bowl. Stir briskly until the sugar dissolves. Spoon this sweetened orange juice over the warm cake (still in the tin). Leave it in the tin until cold, during which time it will absorb the juice. Turn out onto serving plate.

Melt the cream and chocolate together in a saucepan over low heat or in the microwave.

Cool 10 minutes before spreading over the cake.

3 Comments:

At 10:42 am, Blogger OLS said...

So does your (very effective) use of orange type mean that my referral to the HTML Goodies site helped you? ;o)

If so, I'm glad.

- OLS

 
At 11:36 am, Blogger Amanda said...

Cheers OLS - I have been to the site and did try a few things one night but didn't end up making any changes to my template. I yearn to return to that site - I have it book marked. It takes me ages to enter a change and then preview it then I decide I don't want it and make the change differently again. It is very time consuming - which is why I then forgo presentation in favour of actually writing something.

 
At 12:04 pm, Blogger OLS said...

I just change something small on a regular basis, but that's because I get bored of what my site looks like and want a change. I didn't actually change that much this time, just the picture at the top and the colour of the text. I also had to change the size of the profile containters a bit to fit that, but that wasn't a change you'd notice really.

Anyway, I'm glad you like it! ;o)

- OLS

 

Post a Comment

<< Home