5/21/2006

Birthday week

A week that began with Mother’s day and incorporated a birthday can’t be all bad.

In fact I was feted and spoiled. Tuesday was the day, and I went to work as usual. Being in the service there are many employees who I have encountered that view their birthday as an excuse to take the day off. I am not one of them.

Why stay at home, fairly much alone after the morning ritual of birthday greetings and breakfasting and the family go about their day. I mean it’s not their birthday so they will go to school, care or work.

When you go to work on your birthday, those of your friend’s who will know it’s your birthday leave you little gifts, arrange to meet you for coffee, or lunch and generally treat you especially nice. I also baked some cakes to share with my new team in the afternoon and went to lunch with some good friends who shouted my lunch.

My birthday loot wasn’t bad either. I will post a picture of the beautiful bromeliaed, a gorgeous shawl (I plan to wear to dinner in Melbourne in August) Jamie Oliver’s latest Italian cookbook, a fairy cake cookbook, eye rest, vouchers to buy a lovely white shirt I have seen and a great necklace. My mother bought me the comforter set of my choice for our new king-size bed.

I really need to redo all the bedrooms; painting and roman blinds for every room would be the first things to get in order. I have started with the linen for the beds and the wall colours will eventually follow – that’s because P has to do all that stuff.

Strangely enough, I unexpectedly had Wednesday off, Gabi's aunt having the flu meant we were looking for other options. P actually took her to work on Tuesday, it was too late to change my plans to watch her. The next day off however was a welcome break, this year I have really upped the ante with my work committments.

This weekend I am relaxing, some cooking (made one of Jamie’s eggplant, tomato and bocconcini pastas last night) a little bit of catching up with work and generally enjoy the warm days. We also enjoyed a bottle of a Brown Brothers red (1995) we had kept for the last 6 years. Time to drink well and truly.

1 Comments:

At 10:48 pm, Blogger paulmerrill said...

My wife is getting ready to venture into the world of work too. (Work outside the home, that is.)

She has worked for all of our married life, but it has always been part time.

So we'll see what happens!

Sounds like you're doing alright.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home